Clinics & Services
At the Spinney we provide an integrated Nursing and healthcare service. By using the skills of our Practice Nursing Team, Community Nursing Team & Health Visiting Teamworking closely together we provide a comprehensive service of nursing, health promotion and preventative medicine via a range of services and special clinics (see below)
The practice offers three types of service availability:-
- Morning and afternoon treatment room sessions to cover a variety of conditions and treatment such as minor surgery, cuts, burns, swabs, sore throats, ears, eyes, wound dressings, stitch removal and injections.
- Nurse triage – to assess the appropriate clinician for patients requesting a same day appointment with a doctor.
- Specialised services clinics which have longer protected time allocations to cover conditions such as asthma, diabetes, coronary heart disease, women's health (cervical smear checks, contraceptive checks, hormone replacement therapy (HRT) checks etc.), child immunisation and travel advice clinics.
Throughout the week the team also provide other services including blood pressure checks, new patient checks, family planning, general health checks, and most types of promotion of good health rather than the treatment of ill-health.
In addition we also offer a blood taking (phlebotomy) service and the taking of electrocardiograms and urinalysis by our Health Care Assistants.
All treatment room procedures and specialised service clinics are by appointment, and are available by contacting 01480 495347. It is usually necessary for our reception staff to ask a little more about your condition so they can ensure you are given the right type of appointment.
More detail on some of the services provided can be found below.
In addition to general medical consultations we are pleased to be able to provide specialist clinics and services covering the following areas:
- Asthma Checks - weekly clinics run by nurse Gill Avery
- Cervical Smear Tests - usually performed by our practice nurses in one of our special clinics. You should automatically receive an invitation to have this test carried out at the surgery.
- Coronary Heart Disease Clinic: - practice nurse Ann Hannan runs CHD clinics . Patients are invited to attend the clinic annually, or more frequently if necessary.
- Child Immunisation - these are given by the practice nurse on Thursday afternoons. Contact Appointments if you are unable to attend, and health visitor number if you wish to ask any questions of your health visitor.
- Diabetic Checks - reviews available by appointment with Jackie Fryer or Ann Hannan who are both qualified in diabetes care.
- Family Planning and womens health- annual checks (or six monthly if advised) are available by appointment with all practice nurses. If you are wishing to start contraception for the first time or re-start it after a break will can advise you on the different options and commence the appropriate treatment for you. We also offer an emergency contraception service.
- Joint Injection Service - some of the doctors at the Spinney have been specially trained to carry out a procedure called 'intrarticular joint injection' in the convenience of the surgery.
- Maternity Care - Midwives based at Hinchingbrooke Hospital run clinics at the Surgery on Wednesday afternoons and Friday mornings and provide the majority of your care supported by thee health care assistants who take blood samples.
- Mental Health Reviews - patients with mental health problems are encouraged to have a yearly physical check-up with one of our health care assistants. Patients will receive a letter inviting them to attend.
- Minor Surgery - for lumps, bumps, cysts etc, consult your doctor and he or she will organise an appointment for you to come back for a minor surgical procedure. These are usually carried out during routine surgery but often it is necessary to book a longer appointment.
- NHS Health Checks - for patients aged between 40-74, with no pre-existing vascular disease, we offer an NHS check. Please contact the surgery to see if you are eligible.
- Physiotherapy - the practice benefits from a service called Physio Advice Line. If you are aged 18 and over you can contact them on 0300 555 0210 and a member of their team will take your details and book an appointment with one of their team. They will arrange for you to be seen, signpost to exercises, or refer you to another health care professional as appropriate. For more resources that may help, please visit - http://www.eoemskservice.nhs.uk/advice-and-leaflets
- Travel Vaccinations - See our travel vaccination service page
- Treatment Room - We also offer morning and afternoon treatment room sessions to cover a variety of conditions and treatments such as injury, cuts, burns, swabs, sore throats, ears, eyes, wound dressings, stitch removal and injections.